Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Neuschwanstein Castle

One of my side-trips while in Munich consisted of a two hour train ride to the town of Fussen in southern Bavaria.  Located just a few miles north of the Austrian border, it straddles the divide where the Alps rise out of the Bavaria plain.  Fussen in and of itself is a nice small German town but its real importance is that is the gateway to the Neuschwanstein Castle which sits on a clifftop a few miles away.  Despite being a remote area of Germany, I was amazed at the number of tourists, especially Asian tour groups, that were at the castle.  The 19th century castle is quite amazing and was the inspiration of Disney's Sleeping Beauty Castle.


To try and get the best picture of the castle, I decided to hike up the mountains that surround it.  Unfortunately while reaching the summit, a driving rainstorm blew in not only soaking me but also pinning me down as the fog and clouds were too thick to see the path down.  After about an hour of trying to stay dry under my tiny umbrella the rain stopped, clouds parted and left me with an amazing view of the castle which I missed entirely on the way up due to the thick clouds.


No comments:

Post a Comment