Saturday, July 23, 2011

San Marino

After spending the weekend in Venice, I made a stop in the small country of San Marino via Remini, Italy.  Covering a mere 24 square miles and with a population of just over 31,000, San Marino is one of the smallest countries in the world.  It is equivalent to the size of Monaco and is about 43 times smaller than Rhode Island.  One of the unique aspects of this country (other than its incredibly small size) is that it is situated on a mountaintop plateau with a string of fortifications built into the cliffs for defense.


When I first arrived at San Marino, I knew it was my kind of place because almost every shop sold either guns or grappa.  That on top of the amazing views from the cliff top towers made San Marino well worth the day trip visit.


Following my adventure into the peaks of this small mountain nation, I embarked on a 24-hour journey down the coast of Italy and eventually across the Adriatic Sea to Croatia.

1 comment: